"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, August 9, 2010

Silver Star

Googling yesterday for a Sunday blog picture, I discovered that the Lone Ranger's horse Silver once had his own comic book. This I did not know. Called The Lone Ranger's Famous Horse Hi-Yo Silver, it started in 1952 and ran for 34 issues. Just by looking at the covers, I know that if I'd been a 10 year old back in the early fifties, I'd have bought and cherished those comics.


What I did know was that Silver was originally a wild stallion. You see, the Lone Ranger first rode a chestnut mare called Dusty, but she was killed by a criminal, boo hiss. But then the Lone Ranger saved Silver's life from an enraged buffalo, and in gratitude Silver gave up his wild life to carry him. Aaaah.

No comments: