"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Two catty questions

After reading the local paper this morning, I ask:

1) Is it right to use that hated word ‘lifestyle’ when referring to the terrible conditions endured by people in Third World countries, as in ‘It was emotionally draining and just really hard to accept their lifestyle'? I have no problem with the speaker’s generosity and praiseworthy desire to help others, just with that stupid word used in this context. To me, ‘lifestyle’ implies an element of choice, and the financial luxury and political freedom to pursue your choices. Methinks that wretched word ‘lifestyle’ is to the English language what the vuvuzela is to music.

2) If a dog that guards property (utes, commercial sites, home offices) and equipment is deemed a member of a work environment, and their dog-related expenses such as food, vaccinations and vet bills can be claimed as deductions from a business’s gross income, should not the costs of the dedicated cats belonging to those involved in more contemplative trades also be legitimate tax deductions? For some of us, a cat in the lap, or just snoozing companionably in the room, is a vital part of the thinking/writing process. I shall have to speak with my local MP.

No comments: