"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sidetracked

So I wasn't going to blog tonight, or even check up on other blogs, but I peeked at one, which led me to Mary Robinette Kowal's link to The Oregon Regency Society's very horsey post about side saddles, which also has lots of useful links, and voilĂ , before I knew it, I was reading interesting information about riding etiquette and making medieval saddles instead of closing up shop and getting to bed.

Still, it's fascinating stuff (riding side saddle is something my sister and I often talk about trying at some point) and very useful information for...well, I'll just have to write a story that involves someone, a heroine I suppose, leaping into a side saddle to justify all this mucking around in the middle of the night. Although, now that I think about it, having a hero gallop off riding side saddle might be more interesting.

I don't know about this jumping with a side saddle though. My spine hurts just thinking about it.

No comments: