"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Tuesday, July 30, 2013

And Lo, Retribution Was Swift. Very Swift.


Yesterday's off-centre graffiti is no more. After but a day or two, it's universal wisdom is already lost to the ages (except for a short appearance here on my blog). I suspect the council is engaging in new, tough tactics along the lines of  'fame is ephemeral in this tunnel, so take your spray cans and skedaddle, kiddies'. I wonder who will tire of the game first? Teens are notoriously resilient.  But then country councillors are a stubborn bunch too.

On the weirder side of municipal life, apparently Satanism = civic pride and social responsibility. You can read about the campaign to raise funds that will enable the Satanic Temple to adopt a New York highway here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-satanic-temple-adopt-a-highway-campaign

There are buttons and mugs for purchasing, and noble aims are proclaimed:

This campaign will do more than keep the Highways clean. It will help to send a clear message to the world reaffirming American religious plurality. We will demonstrate that all religious perspectives are indeed free to engage their communities in a productive manner.

2 comments:

parlance said...

One of my favorite-ever graffitis (is that a plural of a plural?) was the enormous one on the old red railway bridge at Warburton that said, 'SATIN RULES'.

I prefer cotton.

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you for that - this is my kind of funny! I laughed out loud when I read it, and I'm still chuckling. And it'll continue to make me grin every time I think about it.

Fabrics (and I agree with you about cotton) and supernatural entities aside, this is an example of why dictionaries rule. Unless, of course, it was done on purpose...