"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, July 29, 2013

Too Deep For Me


The local council repainted both train underpasses battleship grey again last week, which means, of course, that the local teens wielding their trusty spray cans were out in force over the weekend, happy at the prospect of a couple of clean canvases.

Since last week, the tunnel I use coming home in the evenings has acquired a giant skull (soooo passé, and it isn't that scary, or at all well-drawn), lots of silly, talentless, meaningless scribbles, and then this strangely gentle I'm-not-sure-what:

The scent of the universe is actually very lovely.

I did stop and study this one for a while. I really enjoyed the insertion of actually very, and honestly, you just don't see the work lovely featuring in graffiti much, but figuring out what it was trying to tell me about life and everything kept slipping from my grasp. I sense there's a deeper meaning that I'm missing.

However, there also lurks a suspicion in my mind that the kid might have been smoking something mellow that opened his/her expanded mind to the real nature of universe - you know, the one that smells good - but that something was lost in the translation from ephemeral truth to spray-painted slogan. Still, there's an elusive feeling of it being close to some kind of revelation. I just wish I could understand its transcendental wisdom :)

No comments: