"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, January 19, 2014

Because No Pain is a Huge Gain


So this was a week of heat, rejections, reluctantly leaving the cool environs of the Arvo Job to trudge the hot city streets in the middle of the day because of hospital crap, and, of course, the actual hospital crap. Now, the heat has passed, the rejections I've filed away in my head to deal with another day, and the hospital crap (I even had to go into the city yesterday! On a Saturday! What a waste of precious weekend time!) has paid off because I stayed drug free today, and tonight, for the first time in a couple of months, cross fingers, I'll be off to bed without taking any pain killers. The downside is that, aside from a few must-do chores, I slept away most of today. But now I feel good. And did I mention that there's no pain! Major win.

So let me tell you this very simple truth, which those with chronic conditions will already know, but which you will not be aware of if you're fortunate enough to be as bouncing fit as I was up until two years ago: any day without pain is a good day. Most people don't appreciate that fact until it's too late. Take my advice, and take a moment to enjoy your body if it's humming along nicely. Savour the feeling. Revel in it. Really.

Anyway, hopefully after two more trips this week, I'll be good to get active and productive writerlywise again. And I'll appreciate it, believe you me. I will savour it. I will revel in it. J

4 comments:

Steve Cameron said...

Here's to pain free days in 2014.

Gitte Christensen said...


I'll drink to that! Skål!

Anonymous said...

Feel the pain too- Tis the pits. As you say, until you suffer it you don't realise the impact it has on your psyche, work life, relationships, energy levels, motivation and general quality of life. Keep strong and brave. At times I have been blown away at how different I feel since I started suffering chronic pain.

Gitte Christensen said...


Thank you for your kind words. Tis the pits indeed. Even with the pain gone, knowing it might return, I'm cued to every tiny twinge I feel, worried that this is it, I only get a few days off this time round. And I too think about the old days, when, like most people, I strutted around and didn't have a clue how grateful I should have been for that wonderful freedom.

I wish you well with your own daily struggles.