"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, January 12, 2014

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary


This week was one of those just-get-through-it times with me trying to pace things so as to not to slide back into the Cold that Came for Christmas, negotiating an ad hoc transport system while they do maintenance on the train lines, and making it to the Arvo Job as much as possible (which turned out to be not very much at all) between a stretch of let's-start-the-year-with-a-round-of- hospital-crap. I made it to the weekend relatively intact, but no writing was done, so I'm catching up on bits and pieces today so as to set myself up for a more organised next week.

I did, however, get to see two writerly movies. After hospital crap late Friday afternoon, rather than head home during peak hour traffic, I treated myself to fried noodles, ice cream, and a movie no-one else I know wanted to see -  Saving Mr Banks - which still has me thinking about many aspects of storytelling. Australian born PL Travers ditched both her nationality (so crass) and her childhood name then reinvented herself as a British writer, used aspects of her own life to propel her Mary Poppins stories, then struggled with the idea of handing over her creation to someone she was convinced would rewrite the character. She knew the Disney populist version would swamp her rather stern and non-coddling nanny and turn Mary Poppins into a singing, twinkling, more sugary individual, and she was entirely correct. These days, when anyone thinks Mary Poppins, they think of Julie Andrews. And for the record, I adored that movie as a kid. But I feel for Travers and her loss of creative control. Unfortunately, Travers was broke. Backed into a corner, and fearful of poverty, she did the deal. Once more, penury forced an artist's hand. Still, she got to keep her house and was set up for life, which isn't to be sniffed at.

Anyway, I liked the idea of a movie about two creative people battling it out for their own version of a character, about popular entertainment versus literature, and all the layers of wondering how much of the real Walt Disney and PL Travers made it into movie and their various biographies, how much their own life stories informed their work, and how much they both used their work to redress the deprivations and wrongs of their childhoods. With the real lives and subsequent industry based on other writers' and filmfolks' interpretations of two such strong-minded individuals, there's much to sort through, and a lot of storytelling of both the truthful, not so truthful, and purely exploitative kinds to negotiate.

The other movie was The Book Thief, which also had many scenes to warm a writerly heart. I was told after the movie that I meaningfully aaaahed in certain places, which I don't usually do (how annoying!), but I'd say it would have been caused by me identifying with a young person who loves books and writing, and uses them as a calm focus to steady herself amidst the chaos and often cruel twists of our mortal existence.

If you're not one of those people who haunted libraries as a kid in search of Answers to Life's Mysteries and who views books as portals to other, often realer than Real Life places, then my behaviour is not something I can explain to you.

4 comments:

parlance said...

They're both on my to-be-seen list, not because they're writerly, but just because they look interesting.

Gitte Christensen said...


I hope you enjoy them. I know I wanted to rush home and watch Mary Poppins after seeing SMB. I didn't though, because I don't have it handy. Maybe soon :)

Anonymous said...

Saw SMB- enjoyed it. What struck me was the father daughter relationship. Also seeing the actress who played Alice in Luther be Mrs Traver's mother...

Historically, many Aussie artists have left our shores to be exposed to larger audiences and to broaden their exposure to the world and what it has to offer. Yes, the cultural cringe - poms seeing us as being inferior maybe contributed to her reinvention. Thankfully, doesn't happen much these days.

Go see Her- scary depiction of virtual relationships...fell asleep through part of it- heat wave sleep deprivation to blame.

Gitte Christensen said...


I liked the father daughter relationship in SMB too, but I was really glad they also showed what the mother was going through both with being excluded from their special relationship and having to cope with her husband's troubles. It was very well done, I thought.

'Her' is right at the top of my list of want-to-see-soon films. I almost saw it yesterday, but I was eager to get home. I hope you catch the bits you missed at some point.