"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Viper-Seller's Son

Still online in Flash Me Magazine's October '09 fantasy issue is The Viper-Seller's Son , a story described by one editor as a 'nice, neat little fantasy'. He rejected the story (not a good fit with the magazine) but it found a home the next time I sent it out into the world.

I mention this particular story because it was a pleasure to write from beginning to end.

I used to live in St Kilda, a forty minute walk from my Afternoon Job. My daily trek took me past the Book House on Fitzroy Street, where the tables of $4 books- or 3 for $10 - constantly tempted me. The bargains that I have scored there (books on weretigers, Antarctic explorers, South American tribes) are legion.

One fine day, the book that caught my eye was 'Views of 18th Century China', a big, colourful volume of watercolours and engravings. It is compiled from two works - 'The Costume of China' by George Henry Mason, a soldier who spent a few months of sick leave in that country, and 'The Costume of China' by William Alexander, a draftsman attached to Lord Macartney's embassy to the Emperor in 1793. These original books were published in 1804 and 1805 respectively, when chinoiserie was all the rage in England.

I picked it up and flicked through the pages. The book fell open to reveal Plate XCII - 'The Viper-Seller'. The picture and the title were so evocative. A few pages later there was Plate LXXXVIII - 'A Serpent-Catcher'. Bang! The process began. I bought the book, tottered up St Kilda Road, and the story was completed in my head by the time I got to work.

There are, I think, a few more stories still hidden in that book, but I doubt they'll be as easy to extract as VPS.

No comments: