"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, August 14, 2011

Flying through the forest

Today was one of those utterly perfect days one has every now and then. It was a horse riding day, the weather was gorgeous, and every eyeful of the Daylesford countryside was picture postcard stunning. My sister Cindy and I went out by ourselves for the morning ride. We mostly hacked along and chatted, enjoying the day and our companionable mounts. I rode an old favourite of mine, Marab, an Arab with a huge personality who is getting on in years but is still full of vim and verve. I used to take him out for both the morning and afternoon rides whenever we went to Daylesford, but now he only occasionally goes out, and just for shorter rides. He's still willing and fast, but too long a ride knocks him out for days afterwards. It was good to spend some time with him again. It was like meeting up with an old pal. My sister and I let him set the pace, and we both laughed at his obvious enjoyment of the ride.

The afternoon ride was fast and long and hard. We were five experienced riders with strong, fast, zesty mounts. We did one of my favourite rides - along an old railway track in the Wombat State Forest. At times we cantered through deep railway cuttings, the rough rock walls soaring up on both sides, and at other times along high, narrow embankments that put us up way higher than the surrounding forest so it was like we were on earthen bridges galloping over a ferny sea. We jumped a few logs, did some serious bush bashing, and all in all had a ripping time. The horses loved it too - I'll have sore shoulders tomorrow from controlling my mount. She was a big girl, very strong and very eager.

And here is today's Foalwatch photo, emailed to me by my sister. Our very special guest is Peanut (a.k.a. Naughty Nuts) a miniature horse foal. He and his mum were rescued and sent to an animal shelter. Sadly, his mum died, but Peanut has a fantastic new home, where he now enjoys the companionship of two other tiny equines. This picture is definitely the cutest yet to grace Foalwatch.

And in a writerly aside, my Thalassophobia story is being held for final consideration. Cross fingers.

No comments: