"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hyggemad

I've been out for most of this superbly sunny day - shopping, movie (please, don't ask) Bunnings, talking, arvo tea with the cats in the backyard - and now I'm in the middle of hitting the domestic stuff hard (washing, cleaning, cooking up a giant pot of lentil soup for freezing down) so that tomorrow is totally clear for writerly deeds.

I plan to reward myself for these labours in a few hours with Saturday Night Klatkager (you can Youtube an amiable bloke whipping up a batch of this utterly delicious Danish hyggemad (usually translated as comfort food, even though you don't necessarily enjoy it because you're sad. I think of it more as cosy food.) here - is there anything one can't YouTube these days? - though of course the recipes will differ slightly from family to family and across the generations e.g. I use olive oil, which might make purists recoil in horror)*** and a couple of episodes of Stargate Universe, though I'm not sure the word 'reward' applies to the latter. I'm 5 episodes in and the characters still make me grit my teeth. I want horrible things to happen to a few of them. However, I'll bravely forge onwards because I've been informed by a reasonably reliable source (brother) that it all gets better from this point on.

And as an afterthought, I'll tell you what klatkager used to go with so perfectly you'd think the recipe had been invented for them - Xena:Warrior Princess, and before that, Hercules. Ah, those were the days.

*** Sorry - I hope it isn't too hard to sort out all those parentheses. I'd go back and edit, but, as mentioned, I have other stuff to do.

No comments: