"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Friday, June 7, 2013

Note To Self: Must Read This


Let me just make one thing clear before I continue - The Weirdstone of Brisingamen is MY special book. I found it, all by myself, without reviews or recommendations, in a school library during one of my lunchtime wanders there when I was about ten years old, years after the book was first published. In fact, the book itself might have mysteriously drawn me to its shelf and compelled me to pick it up and take it home. I know the word 'Brisingamen' certainly attracted me, for being something of a junior mythology buff, I recognised the name of the goddess Freya's necklace and was intrigued. And who can resist a word like 'weirdstone'?

Anyway, just so you know that no matter what kind of a connection you might think you have formed with the book, your "relationship" with TWOB is but a trifling, superficial thing compared with MY deep and meaningful bond with it. So there , now you know. The Weirdstone of Brisingamen is MY special book. Ditto with The Moon of Gomrath.

The reason I've brought this up is because thanks to a review over at  Book View CafĂ©, I was reminded this morning that I need to read Boneland by Alan Garner to see how it all ends for Colin and Susan. When Boneland first came out, I decided to reread TWOB and TMOG and then clear a bit of dedicated reading time for what I was told would be a difficult  but worthwhile job. Alas, stuff happened, I got sidetracked, blah, blah, etc. But now, thanks to BVC, I'm on it again.

I mean, with a review like this from Ursula LeGuin, how can I not? The circle must be completed. The puzzle must be at least attempted. And how lucky are we that the author has seen fit to bring closure to the saga?

I just hope I understand it. :)

No comments: