"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, June 9, 2013

Who Cats

This is an ongoing problem for me: I slip a Dr Who disc into the Blu-ray and pop put to the kitchen to pick up a waiting tray of tea and toast (or unhealthy goodies), but when I get back, there are multiple cat-shaped silhouettes lurking in the half-dark blocking my view. This only happens with Dr Who.

Lured by the wildly swirling time tunnel through which the TARDIS hurtles, the hypnotised moggies sit right up close to the screen staring at the psychedelic movements. Occasionally, they raise paws to bat a particularly enticing vortex. I need to shoo them away quick smart and with rough words or they just keep coming back for more. I thought it was amusing when it first happened, but I soon discovered that they can actually sit there for an entire episode blandly staring at The Doctor and his doings, or walking backwards and forwards in front of the screen, waiting, waiting, waiting until the amusing, feline-friendly visuals return at the very end, at which point they get excited again. I've almost broken the habit, but, as these photos from last night prove, Jenny still hasn't quite got the message.

And yes, posting about my cats means I didn't, alas, make it to Continuum today. There was simply not enough oomph left in my already well squeezed-out toothpaste tube of energy to get me down to Melbourne and then through more than a couple of hours of keeping up with lots of bustling, challenging people before I would have had to head home again, which, given the door price for a single day, would have been bad economics. Plus, for added energy-drainingness, the trains are partially out this weekend, the last leg of the journey replaced by buses. So I stayed home instead and rewrote a story that I'll submit tomorrow, which made me feel good and pleased and happy, although it probably wasn't as career-furthering as a spot of strategic networking (unless it sells to the intended market!), or as fun as all the wining and dining happenings at Continuum that folk are blogging about.

Ah well, we do what we can do as best we can.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you finished that story. Honestly, it helps more than networking....you're right, though...significantly less partyfun-like ;)

Thoraiya

Steve Cameron said...

Missed you yesterday at Continuum. We must catch up soon.

Steve

Gitte Christensen said...


Thank you, Thoraiya. Getting the writerly work done is the most important thing, and I'm glad I can do it, but, heck, sometimes you just want to get out there and connect with the tribe. I feel it's been a bit too long since I showed up at one of these get-togethers.

BTW I followed The Guardian link over at Cheryl Morgan's blog a few days ago and saw your name in lights - congrats on the mention. International fame is just around the corner :)

Gitte Christensen said...


I reeeealllly wish I could have made it, Steve. I was psyching myself up for it and resting in preparation, but, in the end I had to be sensible about it.

And yes, it's been a long while because I keep missing these events. Like I've said, it's almost as if the hospital deliberately picks the dates to pull me out of action that will most stuff up my conventioning.