"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, December 15, 2013

Horse Riding Cures Almost Everything, Maybe.


I've had a few aches sneak up on me lately, and wasn't sure how well a day of horse riding would go down with my body, but being a great believer in not knowing how things will turn out until you have a go, I headed off with a pocket full of pills to meet my sister for a whole day of riding in Daylesford, just the two of us. If worse came to worse, I thought, I could always bail on the afternoon ride.

Good thing I did go. A couple of panadols was all I needed - which is, strangely enough, a lot less than I down to get through a far less physically exerting sit-still shift at the Arvo Job (go figure) - and a great day was had. My sister sneakily snapped this fab photo of me contentedly moseying along through the forest on my old friend M. with her phone, and I'm glad she did. See, you can miss out on much good stuff if you overthink what might happen. I actually feel really good, though tired, and I will, no doubt be sore tomorrow, and the day after. However, it's important, I think, to do things that make you feel strong when you're not well, even if you have to push yourself a bit - the positive feedback loop is worth a truckload of pharmaceutical products. My sister and I have vowed that we'll be getting back into our regular riding schedule again next year. We're over pottering along the laneways like old ladies and want to be hellions on horseback once more. It's our thing.

So yeah, beautiful weather, scenic countryside full of rolling hills, happy, green forests full of colourful parrots, good horses, fine food, fun company, a much appreciated lift home (thank you, Cindy) AND I snapped a few pics for my much neglected Foalwatch:


3 comments:

parlance said...

Glorious photo of what seems to have been a glorious outing.

And while I'm overusing a word, glorious foal.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fab time was had by all. Doing things you love have a great positive impact on the psyche. Keeping on moving is often the best thing for pain. Take it from me 2x major orthopaedic surgeries on my feet and Achilles' tendons plus prolapsed disc in sacral spine in recent times. Good to push through and incredible how distraction helps to manage pain too.

May you gave many more days like today.

Gitte Christensen said...


Glorious is a excellent word, Catherine, and most suitable for both the outing and foal. Not so sure about the PUPPIES, which I can't believe I forgot to mention or take photos of - they were cute and tubby, rather than glorious, beagle x border collies and just 3 weeks old. They added much to the day as well.

A fab time was had, thank you, Anon. Sounds like you've been through the mill lately, and are also keenly aware of how staying on the move is good for pain management. During recent hospital stays, I'd often hear the exasperated nurses cajoling patients to get out of bed, telling them they'd feel better and be able to go home sooner if they did, but many of them simply wouldn't budge, wouldn't even try. It annoys me when people won't even make an attempt to help themselves.