"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Another Painful Admission

So you know how sad I was about surgery interfering with my plans to see Prometheus? What I've hitherto kept a dark secret is that last week, just after getting home, as a treat, I was chauffered right to the door of the cinema for that much anticipated spectacle.

I'm still recovering from the shock. Not even heavy duty pain killing drugs could stop my mind going What the...? as I watched it and my heart from hurting at the terrible, stupid characters and abysmal storytelling. It's only now that I've finally recovered enough to confess that when it comes to that particular public debate, I'm firmly in the 'nay' camp. There's no need to go into specifics - they're plastered all over the Internet. Enough to say that I'm still weeping and raging with disappointment.

Also, while I'm at it, yesterday's hospital visit confirmed that while I'm thoroughly recovering from the surgery, and am up and about and healing extraordinarily well, my Serious Medical Issue will not be over and done with any time soon. I'll just have to knuckle down, do what I'm told by the medicos, stay the course, and get through it.

In the meantime, there are books to read, movies to watch, and stories to write. And I think I'll go for a nice long walk in the sunshine today.

4 comments:

parlance said...

Okay, so my brother (sf fanatic and inveterate film-goer) says he won't go to see it, after I told him about your comments on it.

I hope the walk in the sunshine is a good one.

Steve Cameron said...

Yes, Prometheus was the biggest disappointment - and I'd had hopes that Ridley Scott would deliver..

Write, darn you, write. We need more Christensen magic :)

Steve

Gitte Christensen said...

Hi parlance,

I almost feel guilty now. It does have a curiosity value, and it is a good lesson in how not to mash a lot of stupid stuff together and hope for the best. On the other hand, your brother has been spared the agony that is Prometheus and can spend that time on better, more deserving movies.

And yes, thank you, I had a lovely walk. I did a lap of our local botanical gardens.

Gitte

Gitte Christensen said...

Awwww, Steve, thank you :)

I'm certainly endeavouring to get the old brain working again, but so far, I'm only managing about an hour of editing each day. This is why regular writing is important, I suppose - you do quickly lose the synaptic limberness required for storytelling.