"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, June 10, 2013

Vale, Iain Banks


We knew it was coming, but we, I, thought, well, as we always do in such cases, for sure he'll be around for a few more months... He was such a force... Over at Banksophilia, where you can read the overwhelming love and respect that so many people felt for him and his work, he seemed perky enough... I meant to leave a comment myself, to tell him how much I loved his books, but I didn't... I was still composing it in my head, trying to make it special... Now I wish I had just written a simple 'thank you'. Why do we always wait too long?

I'm floundering in ellipses because it's impossible to absorb that he's really gone, and so soon.


16 February 1954 - 9 June 2013
R.I.P.

 
*** Neil Gaiman shares a few wonderful memories of Iain over at his blog in a piece titled 'Iain. With or without the M.'
 

No comments: