"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A bit of fluff

My new, nifty notebook computer, henceforth known as Rover, has been out and about for 2 days now. I’m still learning to navigate it, so I’m mostly just editing at the moment, but I have high hopes of accelerating my typing speed and turning significant amounts of train time into sellable stories. My cats, as you can see, are ecstatic that there is another keyboard in the house for them to walk all over.

Yesterday, I finished an easy on a tired mind nonfiction book – Dewey. The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron – which my sister Cindy, professional dog trainer and pet-minder extraordinaire, passed on to me a few weeks ago. I was expecting unmitigated fluff with copious tears at the end, so it was a nice surprise to discover it was also about life in Iowa, about farming communities weathering the financial crisis of the 1980s, about small-town politics, small-town planning, architecture, libraries, hard luck stories, medical malpractice stories, pulling up socks and emerging victorious stories, as well as cute kitten and cat tales, with the expected tears at the end.

1 comment:

parlance said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I'll look for it.