"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, April 17, 2010

Holy smoke screen, Bookman.

I’m soooo excited – today I bought a nifty notebook computer so I can work while I’m travelling on trains during the week. My days of stopping a story to head off to the Arvo Job with a warmed up brain and then furiously writing notes en route are over. It can also serve as a backup so that I don’t lose years of work if my designated writing computer suddenly dies.

After that bit of consumerist happiness came The Book of Eli. This isn’t a film that I was particularly planning to see, feeling The Road had already covered my ration of post-apocalyptic desolateness for the year, but due to a technical hitch (me incorrectly reading the cinema website and announcing that Iron Man 2 was already showing) it was the only movie on around the time we fronted up that we hadn’t seen already (we saw Kick Ass last week – enjoyed it enormously).
Anyway, as post-apocalyptic, Western/Samurai flicks go, this one was serviceable. It was a lot better than I thought it would be, but far from as good as it could have been. In some places, it downright didn’t make sense, especially when it insisted on setting up familiar Western images and settings at the expense of post-apocalyptic survival sense. The denouement was most muddled, and the finale, another hail-the-Western shot, was utterly irrational.

All in all, I was analyzing the scenes as this movie played out, giving stars for good points and finding flaws as I watched it. Needless to say, I was not transported to another world.

2 comments:

parlance said...

Don't forget to back everything up and store away from the computers, too. Do you know the story of Kirstie Murray and the thieves who stole her laptop from her house? - BUT also stole all the disks, etc around the desk.

She lost a novel mostly written, one that she had researched in Ireland for some months on a grant.

She had to write the novel again!

Gitte Christensen said...

Poor Kirstie! And what mean thieves! That's the kind of story that gives me the heebiejeebies.

I, however, am the Backup Queen with on and off site data storage, probably because I only reluctantly abandoned my beloved typewriter and adopted a computer for writing about twelve years ago when markets started demanding that writers send their work formatted on floppy discs (how quaint, eh?), and I was paranoid about losing files right from the very start. Now I loooove my computers, but the old paranoia lingers.