"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, April 3, 2010

Clash of the Tots

The supermarket was unbelievable today – people madly careering around with laden trolleys, adults yelling at each other and screeching at their kids, the little tykes throwing tantrums and screeching right back at them. The chocolate stacked everywhere seemed to have saturated the air with sugar, and everyone was agro on the stuff. I parked my trolley at the end of an interminably long queue, and the only thing to do was to zone out, look upon the scene with a beatific calmness, think happy thoughts and smile at the madness of modern life. So I did.

The next thing I know, a lady with pink bunny ears leans close to me and whispers “Go to the next checkout,” and then she literally bounded away. Honestly. I blinked, instinctively did as I was told, and lo and behold, I got a just opened checkout all to myself. I said thank you, and mumbled something about winning the supermarket lottery. The lady with the pink bunny ears said, “I picked you because you were smiling.” We then had a jolly time while putting my stuff through.

It’s true. It really happened - a genuine, bona fide Easter miracle.

After that, it was Clash of the Titans, anno 2010, in 2D, or traditional print. This version you can watch without cringing - sorry, Harry Hamlin, a.k.a Perseus anno 1981.






It’s a true Saturday afternoon movie – quests, sword fights, adventures, daring-do, inevitable outcomes - and a prime example of CGI used for Good rather than Evil. There are no creaky monsters or dodgy, glued together beasts in this film to jar the senses. The giant scorpions coming over the dunes and scrabbling awkwardly on narrow ledges, Charon’s bloated, cadaver-like barge, and the way Pegasus uses his hooves to push off cliffs and is unbalanced when he has to fly with a rider are the kind of details that an anal retentive like myself appreciates.

I also enjoyed playing ‘who is that actor?’, as the movie is chockablock with familiar faces. Mads Mikkelsen *sigh* as Draco, of course was a no brainer.

No comments: