"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, May 17, 2010

Life's a beach

My sister and I went down to Anglesea yesterday, as we do a few times a year, and went horse riding first through the gorgeous bushland, then headed down to the Great Ocean Road beach (it's all about tide times). By the time we got to the coast, it was late afternoon, and apart from a few surfers, we had the sand and the sky and the crashing waves to ourselves. The horses, however, were quite tired, so we didn’t get any of the glorious gallops that we usually enjoy there, but even a bit of a canter and splashing about in the water is something special when the scenery is so stunning.

Today was a very slow and easy-as-she-goes, catch up day. I wrote a little, submitted a piece to one of the BIG publications, read the loveliest rejection (another near-miss, alas, like the ‘was held for the final cut but…’ that I received last week), sauntered down to the library for audio books (for lunchtime listening at the Arvo Job - it's amazing how many books my iPod and I get through that way, plus it's also a lovely little mental oasis that gives my eyes a rest), downloaded Carpentaria by Alexis Wright, The Fated Sky by Henrietta Branford and The Pelagius Book by Paul Morgan, baked bread, patted cats, did the ironing, and worked on a few of the Year of SF and Fantasy MSs. The next workshop session is on Saturday, so it’s been 2 whole months since the last one. Unbelievable. Time just isn't as stretchy and bendy as it used to be.

No comments: