"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Friday, October 29, 2010

I ♥ Democracy (2)

If you recall, back in August I tried to do my political duty and vote in the federal election, and despite having done all the correct paperwork, when I rocked up at the polling booths on the day, I was sternly told that I wasn’t on the electoral roll for the Division of Bendigo. I then had to do much mucking around with more paperwork, and ended up filling in ballot papers for the Division of Port Melbourne instead. It was most disheartening.

Well, now I’ve received a letter from Australian Electoral Commission chastising me for voting in the wrong division (and hinting that I’m a fool / a vote rigger / unAustralian?). So despite all my civic eagerness, my Senate vote was counted, but unfortunately my House of Representatives vote was not.

*sigh*

No comments: