"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, November 29, 2010

R.I.P. Leslie Nielsen

While others will wax lyrical about the Naked Gun series, for me, Leslie Nielsen was first and foremost the dashing space ship commander in Forbidden Planet. He was, I thought, everything a dashing space ship commander should be - handsome, brave, and able to shepherd a screaming woman through a collapsing mad scientist's lair.

I saw this movie at the drive-in when I was a wee, scifi loving sprog, and it scared the crap out of me.


But oh, how I longed for my very own Robby the Robot - sort of the olden days version of getting your own Arnie-Terminator to perform feats of abject subservience (and possibly payback on mortal enemies a.k.a school bullies). Ah, the power!
Thanks for the memories, Leslie.

No comments: