"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, April 18, 2011

Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror 2010


Ticonderoga Publications has just announced the contents for its inaugural 'Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror' anthology, and GUESS WHAT? (I've been dying for the past 2 weeks to post this news) I'M IN IT!

Yes, blow me down if it isn't true. I somehow snuck in with A Sweet Story, which was published in 'Moonlight Tuber' last year thanks to Ben Payne.

But, it's definitely not all about me. As the announcement states: Editors Liz Grzyb and Talie Helene have produced a list of 33 excellent tales by some of Australia's biggest names as well as some emerging writers.

The stories are (alphabetically by writer):

RJ Astruc: "Johnny and Babushka"
Peter M Ball: "L'esprit de L'escalier"
Alan Baxter: "The King's Accord"
Jenny Blackford: "Mirror"
Gitte Christensen: "A Sweet Story"
Matthew Chrulew: "Schubert By Candlelight"
Bill Congreve: "Ghia Likes Food"
Rjurik Davidson: "Lovers In Caeli-Amur"
Felicity Dowker: "After the Jump"
Dale Elvy: "Night Shift"
Jason Fischer: "The School Bus"
Dirk Flinthart: "Walker"
Bob Franklin: "Children's Story"
Christopher Green: "Where We Go To Be Made Lighter"
Paul Haines: "High Tide At Hot Water Beach"
Lisa L. Hannett: "Soil From My Fingers"
Stephen Irwin: "Hive"
Gary Kemble: "Feast Or Famine"
Pete Kempshall: "Brave Face"
Tessa Kum: "Acception"
Martin Livings: "Home"
Maxine McArthur: "A Pearling Tale"
Kirstyn McDermott: "She Said"
Andrew McKiernan: "The Memory Of Water"
Ben Peek: "White Crocodile Jazz"
Simon Petrie: "Dark Rendezvous"
Lezli Robyn: "Anne-droid of Green Gables"
Angela Rega: "Slow Cookin' "
Angela Slatter: "The Bone Mother"
Angela Slatter & Lisa L Hannett: "The February Dragon"
Grant Stone: "Wood"
Kaaron Warren: "That Girl"
Janeen Webb: "Manifest Destiny"

In addition to the above incredible tales, the volume will include a review of 2010 and a list of recommended stories. The anthology is scheduled for publication in June 2011.

The anthology will be available in hardcover, ebook and trade editions and may be pre-ordered at http://indiebooksonline.com.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Congratulations!!!!

Gitte Christensen said...

Ta!

parlance said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I was reading a quote lately that said writers can think of their chance of being published in terms of passion, talent and discipline.

With all three a writer will most likely make it.

Either of the first ones in combination with discipline gives a likelihood of publication.

Passion plus talent might work out. But probably won't.

To get into the 'Best Of' book I reckon you have proved you have all three qualities.

I'm looking forward to reading it.

Gitte Christensen said...

*blush* Thank you. I must say that my inclusion came as a complete, but pleasant, surprise. It'll keep me motivated for ages.

To tell you the truth, it's only recently that I feel I'm truly starting to get the hang of all the aspects of this thing called writing. It took decades,but I'm getting there.

I hope your own writing is going well and, most importantly, that you're enjoying it.

parlance said...

I love reading your blog, even though I tend to do it in bursts, as I have today, and I want to say that you are an inspiration, in the way you take your writing seriously and organise yourself.

You deserved this success and I wish you lots more in the future.


Hey, my secret word to verify this comment is a real word! "Fazed" Maybe you'll use that in a future story...

Gitte Christensen said...

I appreciate you, or anyone, taking the time to read my natterings. Thank you.