"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Friday, June 22, 2012

Brolly Fu Fighting

In case you think I'm completely housebound, I have ventured out into the world a few times. At first it was always with someone who was ready to scoop me up and put me in their nearby car if need be, but now I also totter forth on my own for fresh air clutching my mobile. Today I actually took the train to Melbourne for medical stuff, which was a nice and relaxing enough trip, but boy was I glad to have my brolly with me when I got there. Not for rain, you understand, but to stab or whack anyone who looked like they were even remotely about to bump into me. The city masses were suddenly scary. I wielded my umbrella like an Eastern blade, and I would have used it, believe me. However, people seemed to sense my martial intentions and respectfully stepped out of my path, so there was no need for any violence.

Yeah that, or they saw the wild expression on my face and decided to steer clear of a possible madwoman.

Anyway, I was certainly glad to get a lift home. The pushing, shoving, peak hour crowds would have reduced me to a gibbering wreck, I think.

2 comments:

parlance said...

I remember when I had my gallbladder out, and had the 'big cut', my first outings were just around the inside of my home, and when I went further afield, I needed a big 'no go zone ' around me.

Gitte Christensen said...

Exactly. I kept thinking that a hoopskirt - one of steel rather than environmentally unsustainable whalebone, of course - would be just the thing. That, or a square of picket fencing strung over my shoulders a la those guys in old movies who walk around wearing just a barrel after their clothes have been stolen.