"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, August 15, 2012

It's Raining Rejections


For the past 24 hours, it seems that every time I check my emails there's another very nice close, but no cigar from an editor whittling down the number of submissions I have out out there in the wild. It's times like these that one's writerly optimism is tested. It's times like these that one's writerly confidence is measured. It's time like these that, hopefully, one's writerly stubbornness kicks in. I'll simply have to make a cup of soothing peppermint tea this evening, sit myself down at the computer and have a dedicated submission session, just me and the wide world and my stories. The trick, as I've said before, is to quickly get those little 'uns out and about again, so one can once more fantasise about them finding loving homes. There's nothing, as many songs will attest to, cheerier than a dream.

Aaaaah - thank goodness for my midweek breather from the Arvo Job. I'm breathing in, slowly, slowly. I'm breathing out, calm, relaxed. By Tuesday night, after two days of commuting and Arvo Jobbing, I'm really running on empty. This non-rushy Wednesday of sleeping in, writing (almost finished another story), reading, multiple medicinal laps at a speedy pace around the botanical garden (I'm about to head off with my mega-brolly, for the sky is as dark and ominous as my inbox at the moment) followed by a very, very cautious weights workout, a long arvo nap snuggling with the cats (I'm already looking forward to it) and an early night will recharge my batteries and get me through the last two workdays.

Hopefully my pre-two ops stamina will soon return. And someone will purchase a story.

6 comments:

Steve Cameron said...

Sorry to hear the rejections are coming in. Still, it frees them up to send them out again.

I haven't heard anything new in over a month.

sigh

parlance said...

Gitte, at the risk of sounding soppy, I have to tell you, once again, that finding your blog was an eye-opener for me, because it showed me that the professional side of writing is important, and that I shouldn't just keep writing and hoping that somehow I would be 'discovered'.

I'm not specifically writing spec fic, but what I see in your approach to sending out has inspired me in my attempts at various genres. I'm making time to get the stories out as well as to write them, lol.

I'm sorry to hear you've had some rejections, but I feel sure you are so dedicated to your craft that you'll have the stories out again and published soon.

Apologies for carrying on like this, but I did want you to know that your writing affects others' lives in more ways than just in your actual stories.

BTW, are you sure you can get to Steve Cameron's blog? I can't. I even tried it on my sister's computer, searched him and tried to get in through a mention on EbonShore. No luck.

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, Steve. I was in the same boat with absolutely nothing for ages, but now, all at once, a deluge of responses! It's the usual feast or famine of writing, which I find quite amusing when viewed a certain way, though I do suspect the editors of a most nefarious collusion :-)

Good luck with your own responses.

Thank you, parlance, for your kind, rather than soppy, words, though there's nothing at all wrong with soppy. However, though I try my best, I doubt I'm actually the epitome of writing professionalism. There are others who are far more dedicated. I'm more a someone who is just trying to squeeze in as much as I possibly can around the needs of everyday life to satisfy my obsession. Of course, if I ever get more time...

But, that said, I do mostly mention my rejections (I hope I don't go on too much about them) to show that they're a huge part of the scenery for anyone who wants to take this journey. For every triumph, there are many defeats. Also, if down the road a ways, one should defy the stratospheric odds and actually carve a tiny niche for oneself as a writer, I can always point at those posts and say 'Overnight success? Piffle!'

The Steve situation is very mysterious. I checked all my links again and still don't have any problems with them. I Googled and went straight to his blog. I went to all the links you mentioned on Sunday and they worked fine for me too. I passed on the info to Steve, but he hasn't had any problems or heard of anyone else having similar problems. Most odd.

Steve Cameron said...

Parlance,
Seems odd that I can't be found, and I've had no trouble accessing my site from a number of computers.

try

www.stevecameron.com.au

or

writerdarkly.blogspot.com

both should work.

cheers


Steve

parlance said...

Gitte, I hope you'll excuse my writing to Steve on your blog, but it's the weirdest thing. I even just tried Firefox, in case it was a problem with Safari. Here's the message, Steve (can't get rid of the big space in the middle after I copied the message):

Server not found




Firefox can't find the server at www.stevecameron.com.au.


and...
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.stevecameron.com.au/2012/05/what-is-measure.html” because Safari can’t find the server “www.stevecameron.com.au”.

I can't figure it out. But of course, don't worry if the problem is confined to me. I can still read your posts on Google Reader, it's just when I go over to your own hosted site, it just stops. (I have a Mac, if that makes a difference.)

Gitte Christensen said...


Hmm, maybe I should start a noticeboard for computer conundrums where people can gather and...

Just kidding - I hope this gets sorted out soon for you, parlance. I wouldn't want you to be deprived of Steve's amazing bloggery :-)