"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Prime Piece of Pre-Christmas News


A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting around trying to come up with an idea that I could turn into a zombie story for an upcoming antho, because, well, it would be so cool to get into a Prime Books anthology, when in comes an email...

It was another one of those situations where I was pretty much expecting a rejection, so it took a few seconds to absorb the fact that this email was actually one of those happiness inducing 'yay' responses rather that one of the more common 'nays'. I'd sent off, as per the guidelines, the maximum of three alien encounter stories, and wouldn't you know it, the one I wasn't sure about, the one I almost second-guessed myself out of sending, made it!

So yes, here comes the news I've been dying to share - my science fiction story Nullipara, which was first published in 2010 in The Tangled Bank: Love, Wonder, and Evolution edited by Chris Lynch, will appear in the reprint anthology Aliens: Recent Encounters edited by Alex Dally MacFarlane. It's scheduled for publication in June 2013.

The final lineup will be announced later this week, I've been told, or the following week, but I've been given permission to make my own private announcement now.

Inclusion in a Prime Books anthology is certainly a fantastic early Xmas present, and knowing I'll soon have an SF story in a book with the word 'alien' in the title is as geekily festive as it gets.

7 comments:

Steve Cameron said...

Congratulations! I wanted to be in that antho, but was rejected.

You've done so well and should be very proud.

Steve

Anonymous said...

OMG that is great news! You rock, woman! I can't wait to re - HEYYY wait a minute. I just realised that I WON a copy of the tangled bank and it never arrived. I'm a-go hassle your FIRSt publisher for my free book. Let this realisation place no stain on my congratulations :-) Thoraiya

Anonymous said...

Congratulations.
I remember the story and loved it.
Jen White

parlance said...

Congratulations!
June 2013 - I'll be waiting!

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, Steve. And condolences on the rejection. What a pity. Will we ever get to share a TOC, I wonder. No! That's the wrong attitude. It will happen one day soon. It will!

I'm feeling pretty giddy about this one, for sure, Thoraiya :) But I can't believe you didn't get your prize. I remember seeing on The Tangled Bank site ages ago that you'd won with your Darwinian brilliance, so all this time, I've thought you'd read it. Hope you succeed in your hassling - it'll be well worth the effort. Plus you earned it.

Thank you, Jen, a.k.a Number One Venerable 'Tangled Bank' TOC Buddy. The words 'I remember the story' are like music to my ears, and 'loved it' makes me foolishly grin. Thank you again.

Gitte Christensen said...


Whoa,you just snuck in while I was thanking the others, parlance :)

Thank you. As for June 2013 - you and me both :)

Gitte Christensen said...


Did I thank Thoraiya? Or did I just babble on? Oh well, I will now. I'd hate to be considered impolite. Thank you, Thoraiya.