"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, December 31, 2012

End of the Month Report: December 2012


Submissions: 7 (3 to the same antho)
Rejections: 4 (2 came in this morning. Better today, in weary old 2012, than tomorrow's fresh first day of 2013, I suppose.)
Acceptances: 0 (but 1 is up for consideration!)
Published: 0
Stories out in the wild: 10 (which would have been a more impressive 12 if I hadn't received those rejections this morning.)
New stories completed: 1
Mood: I definitely don't feel like doing one of those 'things I achieved in 2012' posts. It would be a very short list. This year was mostly a depressing waste of time - lots of pain, drugs, cannullae, treatments, doctors, hospitals, procedures, sleeping, lazing around waiting for parts to heal, lots anxiety about tests and results, a brain that didn't work properly for a good six to eight months, and a lack of energy such as I have never experienced before. Deadlines were missed, stories remained unwritten, ideas didn't happen, I had to say no to a couple of wonderful opportunities that may never come my way again simply because I couldn't be sure whether I'd be able to fulfill my obligations, I struggled to accept my utter loss of control over my body and possibly my future, and things were less than stellar in other quarters of my life as well. Sometimes when you're down, there are actually people out in the world who put on their jack boots. Very Darwinian. That surprised me.

But, of course, plenty of good things happened too. Family and friends were incredibly supportive, so kind, thoughtful, and helpful on a practical level that you really appreciate when you can barely move. I've almost recovered from my operations. It looks as if I might beat this thing. A couple of horrible, life-changing scenarios that might have happened on the operating table didn't come to pass, and I avoided the worst of therapies afterwards. I could have been in a really bad state now, and am keenly aware of that fact and am extremely grateful I escaped. I've even managed to get out on a few short horse rides, which were good for the spirit. In between all the crap stuff, I had a couple of stories published this year, which upped my happiness index, nice reviews that had me dancing around the house, encouraging letters from editors, great sales that make 2013 look like it might be a far far better year for me, and I'm ending 2012 with a wonderfully productive writing holiday. I still feel optimistic about my writing, and I'm full of plans for the days ahead. This actually surprises me too.

So, all in all, I'm going with the flow and trying to do so with a smile. You never know what's waiting around the next corner, so I'll just take 2013 as it comes, one day at a time, and make sure I enjoy the good times as they happen.

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: