"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, February 19, 2011

Four the record

... today's movie was all my fault. I thought it was a preview of the upcoming clone movie. It sounded like a clone movie. I didn't check the details. We rushed in. The credits rolled. Lo and behold, it wasn't the upcoming clone movie. It was a teen movie based on a teen book, which I would have enjoyed more if I were way way younger. In fact, I'm sure I would have loved it decades ago. I would so have swooned back then for the teenage Superman/ Starman. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very big on the kind of details I now like in my aliens-on-Earth movies.

That said, checking up on the book here, I think it would have been better if they'd incorporated more of the background material that is obviously in the original work. Henri, John's guardian, for example, seems a more rounded character in the book.

Ah, Henri. The older guy. The dad. Played by Timothy Olyphant. I did a little swooning whenever he was on the screen. Which just goes to prove I was definitely not the target audience.

No comments: