"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Killing kangas

In the local paper this week: the Kangaroo Industry Association of Australia is lobbying to replace the present system of government controlled kangaroo culling with a commercial harvesting plan. They say their program will ensure better animal welfare, and that they will closely monitor the population to ensure that no more kangaroos will be shot than is sustainable.

Put me firmly in the camp of the cynics who point out that when the destruction of wildlife becomes profit-driven, well, perhaps a few decisions might be made that are not 100% in wildlife’s best interests. Then there’s that old bugbear of commercial entities always wanting to expand and grow richer and more powerful. I don’t quite see mushy feelings about the fate of orphaned joeys influencing the board directors of a commercial harvesting organisation that counts the dead bodies of the mothers of those joeys as their source of revenue.

Yeah, I’m thinking seal cubs*, collapsed fishing industries...

Later: I mean 'pups' of course, though you can add bear cubs to the list if you like.

No comments: