"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, February 27, 2011

Garden pirates

I just went to the kitchen for a bucket of brain-boosting coffee so I can finish an uncooperative story (I’m a bit addled and snotty with what I suspect is the cold presently doing the rounds at the Arvo Job). I wasn’t wearing my glasses. Jenny trotted in and meowed for attention. I looked. I squinted. I gasped.

What I saw: a large, black, cockroachy insect attached to her, its barbed legs viscously* gripping her tender eyeball.

What it really was: a leaf nattily secured to her head by cobwebs, an eyepatch of the sort that pirate fairies might place on a passing feline.

I did check that all was well before I took this photo of her wondering why I didn’t just get on with my job of making her life comfortable and remove the irritating accessory. Once I performed the task, she did a bit of a buck and a skip, and galloped back out into the garden.

* I meant 'viciously'. I think it was the upcoming word 'eyeball' that influenced that typo.

No comments: