"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, March 6, 2011

Nine-headed lurgie

I slept in until 11.30 yesterday (not planned. I turned off the alarm clock then turned over and promptly fell asleep) and again today (same deal). Now, after my extravagant, party-til-I-drop (not) night out at the movies, I'm coughing and nose-blowing once more, and my list of 'must-dos' for today seems to be written on an endless scroll held aloft by some Greek god. The Twelve Labours of Hercules come to mind. Something as simple as giving the place a quick vacuum seems equal to cleaning out the stables of King Augeas. Everything else merges into a monster much like the nine-headed hydra of Lerna.

So I'll consider it a personal triumph if I get in 1-2 hours at the keyboard sometime during this fast-fading afternoon, damn it. I had plans, I had schedules, but the frailty of human flesh as it constantly battles microscopic organisms and bombardments of external nasties sometimes results in such defeats. One just has to suck it up and rest up.

Besides, time spent reading in the backyard on the Xmas swing isn't exactly suffering.

No comments: