"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Friday, March 18, 2011

Simulcra and sideshows

Tonight I finished reading Living Dolls : A Magical History of the Quest for Mechanical Life by Gaby Wood, a book that produced story ideas every time I turned a page, and even occasionally multiple times per page. There were facts and events so astounding, I was constantly telling my brain that it simply had to use this amazing historical occurrence or that fascinating character.

So far, my brain has obliged with just one measly 1500 word story about a king, a scientist, an android and a goodly portion of black magic, but I shall keep this book on my desk in clear view until it coughs up a few more tales featuring circuses, clockwork wonders, marvellous inventors and uncanny humanoid copies.

All of which reminds me there's a giant book sale on tomorrow...

No comments: