"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Chook Who Keeps Me Guessing




GUS AND THE SUNNING CHOOK
It's well past 18.30 and evening will soon be upon us, but the Occasional Chook shows no signs of leaving. This does not seem to one of her usual Virginia Chook swing bys for a bit of peace and quiet away from the flock. She was already waiting outside the kitchen when I opened up the house at 9 this morning, and has been with us ever since, very coolly acting just like she did in the old days before her ungrateful defection to the chicken coop two houses up.


JENNY AND THE STARING CHOOK
She's spent the day being overly chummy with the cats and wanting to snuggle up to them as they tried to catch some rays in peace and quiet (both these pictures were snapped today. Yes, I know I need to tidy up those leaves), hanging out with me while I was working in the backyard, popping in for a chat while I was ironing, pottering around like she owned the place, taking dirt baths and endlessly sunning herself on the patio. She's very calm, very settled, and very much not moving on.

Oh well, who can say what the Chook is planning now? I just checked - yep, she's still here, right outside the kitchen door nibbling on my potted lemon thyme. When I asked her if it wasn't time she headed back to her homies in the coop, she gave me friendly cluck and snagged another leaf. Hmm...

***UPDATE. Sure enough, she is once more ensconced upon her old perch in the bush by the shed outside my kitchen. What has happened? A serious fallout with her erstwhile homies? Complaints about the food? Ah well, let's see how long it lasts. This footloose and deviously fancy free chicken may just using me as a stopgap while she ruthlessly scopes out another coop.

2 comments:

parlance said...

So can the other chooks at the coop down the road defect if they wish? Might you not end up with the whole flock?

Gitte Christensen said...

Oh my goodness, I hadn't even contemplated that possibility. Fortunately, I think we were the Chook's secret getaway...unless she was followed! Aaaah!

But just maybe there aren't any more chooks left down the road. Or not many, at least. I was thinking today that maybe she came back because her fellow chickens were mysteriously disappearing every Sunday. Perhaps she finally figured out what was happening and hightailed it out of there.