"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, March 2, 2013

Timing is Everything


Honestly, I should try checking dates and looking in a diary every now and then before I make profound statements, what with my brain still sporadically cheesing out on me - the Spec Fic Festival isn't next weekend, but the weekend after. I only just worked that out because I was looking at train schedules and whatnot, and finally glanced at the actual festival program again. Duh! Give the girl a gold star for finally getting there. All I can say in my defense is that these days I tend to take life in one week blocks and am keeping things as simple as possible.

And yeah, wouldn't you just know it, the story that I would have liked to send off to a themed issue of a certain publication came back as rejected on Friday, the very next day after the deadline for the themed issue had passed. I soooo knew it! I could feel it in my bones. I would have bet money on it, actually. Whoever is scribbling the script of my life is, on occasions like this, such a predictable hack. A better, more imaginative cosmic writer charting the course of my writerly adventures, that's what I need. That, or more editorial control.

Mind you, I quite like it when the hack slips in the unlikely and unexpected triumphs against the odds...

No comments: