"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, February 27, 2010

Give the dog a bone

I catch movies for different reasons – not always because I have a burning desire to see them. Sometimes it’s because someone else picked the movie, or it was highly recommended, or I want to force myself outside my comfort zone, or simply because I’m curious about some aspect of it. The reason we saw this movie today was because, once the shopping was done, it was on at a convenient time, and besides, we reasoned, the critics might be wrong about it.
They weren’t.
This was a most unsatisfactory movie –contrived characters, so-so acting, unresolved quests and promises (to the viewer) not kept. It all seemed a bit pointless. Even the great Gothic setting was abused – constantly galloping about on black or white steeds under a stormy sky does not automatically constitute drama. Now I know what they mean by ‘chewing up the scenery’. There were a few good scenes in the middle revolving around a werewolf loose in Victorian London, but that was about it. I rate it two howls and a whimper.

But hey, that meant that afterwards, whilst walking back to the car, we had the fun of rewriting the entire movie.

No comments: