"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, February 13, 2010

Zeus alors!

This morning, I indulged my inner teenager with ‘Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief’. As an aficionado of anything with giant, squabbling, Olympian gods, minotaurs, snake-haired ladies and many-headed monsters, I couldn’t have asked for a more mottled mythological mélange.

Throw in a few manly men in body-hugging armour and skirts (luv yas Sean Bean and Kevin McKidd) and aaahhh, matinée heaven.

Now, as this weekend’s only contribution to my writing "career", I’ll send off a few stories (this week’s rejections), as tomorrow will be a dawn to dusk riding day.

And by the way, have I mentioned that Chris Lynch's 'The Tangled Bank: Love, Wonder and Evolution' is out now? It's a beautiful book.

2 comments:

parlance said...

My brother, an inveterate science fiction lover, went to see it and said the film was fairly ordinary, as it was all action.

What do you think? Should I go and see it?

Gitte Christensen said...

Oh it’s definitely an action movie, fantasy rather than science fiction, with a story that's squarely aimed at young adults, but I wasn’t anticipating any dark twists or mind-boggling philosophical conundrums, so it was exactly what I though it would be – kids without adult supervision embarking on quests. I was also curious to see how they had adapted Rick Riordan’s book. Whether or not you'd like it depends on how you feel about satyrs, centaurs, fairly arrogant kids with swords and Sean Bean.