"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Friday, February 5, 2010

Some stories have to work a little harder than others.

I came home tonight to my first February rejection - it was for a submission that I've already sent out 10 times, which is my current record for the most knockbacks for one story. But I do often get nice feedback for this story, and I will persevere with submitting it because: 1) I think it just needs to find the right editor at the right time (don't they all?); and 2) I like it.

Also, one doesn't want to give up too soon. I recently had a story picked up after 6 rejections, my previous record, and I was just beginning to think that maybe my gut was all wrong about that particular tale, and I was seriously considering turfing it because it had actually garnered quite a few snippy remarks along the way from readers and editors who seemed to loathe it (I felt SOOOO misunderstood) when I sent it off to a certain anthology on a whim and, what do you know, it was accepted.

A few years back, I read about a short story that was rejected 27 times and then went on to win all sorts of awards. I always use that as my yardstick and inspiration.

No comments: