"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, September 26, 2010

Weeds

With only a St Kilda balcony to tend for over two decades, I never used to really get gardening /weed metaphors. I mean, how hard could it be to potter about amongst the flowers once a week and pluck a few interlopers while you enjoy the fresh air?

But now I really really understand. For months, everything is beautifully under control, then you turn your attention elsewhere for a couple of weekends, and when you look again, the lawn has become a jungle, vines are strangling the house, the roses have vanished under the onslaught of some aggressive, creeping thingie, and other wild stuff is standing as tall as triffids, and looking just as ready as those infamous plants to pull up their roots and march against humankind.

Lesson learnt today: do not underestimate the power of Spring.

No comments: