"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, December 11, 2010

Drats

Whilst internetting around to look for new markets, I just discovered that I could have worked on my Aussie vamp story for another 7 days. Poo! I thought Dec 1 was the deadline, and I hurriedly sent it off at midnight after a feverish edit on the train on the way home, but it turns out that it was in fact Dec 8. Double damn. When I think what I could have done with that submission, how I could have fleshed it out and pared it back and played around with the dialogue for seven whole more days, well ... curses and oaths galore!!!!

Ah well, serves me right for jotting down the wrong date. Moving on. Next up, I must commit to one of the three versions of the story I want to send to the Anywhere But Earth anthology and then polish it to perfection. The core of the tale is the same - alien society, traumatic event, repercusions - but I've written the first drafts of three different structural approaches. But which version should I go with? The one with the very alien and poetic beginning that I love despite the fact that that alien and poetic beginning was thoroughly bagged by 7 out of 9 participants at a workshop last year? The one that is in danger of becoming a travelogue through an alien society? The one with the main character's older self as the POV? Or a combination of these three?

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

No comments: