"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

On Course for Christmas

Today was the last, endlessly long, end-of-the-year slog day at the Arvo Job. I still have to go in for a couple of arvos of mopping up, but I can now turn my attention towards getting the last Christmas shopping done and starting on the ris a' l'amande.

Ah, family traditions. Believe me, a Danish Christmas is not for the faint-hearted. To cope with the preparations, my brothers and sister and I split the cooking tasks. Initially, we renegotiated who was to do what every year – the pork, the red cabbage, the caramel potatoes - but over time, we’ve settled into a routine. I’m the ris a' l'amande maker. It’s not an easy job, and it is not a job you can rush, but when I get it just right, and everyone is scoffing til they burst, aaaah, the triumph.

Alas, however, there is also the possibility of getting it wrong and ruining everyone’s meal...

No comments: