"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, December 5, 2010

Leaping logs & a longtime loser

I’m just back from a day of horse riding through the Wombat Forest in Daylesford. There was more rainy riding when a storm, complete with thunder and lightening, hit and thoroughly soaked us. Mind you, after the Snowy River ride, this was a piece of (soggy) cake. Fortunately the skies cleared, and post lunch we, a small group of experienced riders, headed off again for an afternoon of bush bashing and lots of log leaping. It was a higgledy-piggledy, but most fun day.

And now Foalwatch brings you these cute pics:
This still nameless, and strangely marked colt was one of the two born foals a couple of months ago (after, if you recall, Butch the stallion jumped the fence one night). In the second picture, he shares the frame with his doting mum.

My only writing news is that I came home to a rejection. It’s a funny old thing the rejected story – on its very first outing, it made it to the final round of an American anthology, and when they finally rejected it, they did so with much praise. I, of course, had high hopes for its future, but ever since then, it’s been all downhill for this poor tale. I’ll cut it right back to the barest of bones, I think (the consensus seems to be, among other things, that it's too long) and give it one or two more goes, then I’ll have to admit defeat and bin it.

No comments: