"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, September 17, 2011

I should be so lucky

Working on the theory that I'm as likely to win a lottery as I am to ever make a living writing fiction, which you can interpret as positively or negatively you please, I thought I might test my luck by buying a $7.95 Tattslotto ticket each week, which, for overseas readers, is the cheapest possible one you can get.

Week 1 of this experiment yielded a $43 and something cents prize, a profit of approximately $35.00. This is fantastic! Why haven't I done this before? I hastily splurged my big win on the latest issue of New Scientist and a DVD set that wasn't even on special - Season 3 of Being Human.

Ah, the decadence of wealth.

2 comments:

parlance said...

I suspect that, over time, a professional lottery-ticket buyer makes more money than a short story writer, but, hey, who has more fun?

Gitte Christensen said...

I wouldn't mind having my fun in a smallish castle with a big moat though.

That said, this week's $7.85 lottery investment yielded all of $0, so my projections based on an expected profit of $36.00 per week are already looking shaky. The short stories just might provide a better source of extra income after all. I'll let you know this time next year how the experiment went, unless, of course,I suddenly win big time, because then I'll get my butler to do the post for me. Or the downstairs maid.