"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A win-win, lose, win-win day

I scheduled a wag day from the Arvo Job today to catch up on stuff, and couldn’t have picked a better time for it. It’s been bucketing down since dawn, which was not so good for the out and about stuff, but brilliant for writing early this morning when I sorted out a certain story bound for an anthology with a deadline at the end of next month (WIN!). However, by about 15.00 it was absolutely pitch dark, there was thunder and lightning of the most impressive kind, and apparently strikes damaged the signalling so the trains out this way didn't run all evening. It would have been a late night, probably wet and smelly bus ride home for me if I'd gone to work. A most excellent day to not be commuting (WIN!)

Whilst I was out and about, I checked my lottery ticket. Another big, fat $0 to match last week’s $0 profit. (LOSE!) But I also picked up a package at the post office, which turned out to be the hardback copy of you know what that I’ve bought for myself as a special present. It’s even more fondable that the softback, and imminently more impressive looking (WIN!)

Then this evening, I waded off to the first meeting of the new, local writer’s centre to sign up as a member. Snug inside while the rain pounded upon the roof, ideas were put forth, committees set up, there was lots of mingling and introducing and chatting about writerly deeds and aspirations (I got to know a gentleman I used to meet on the late train home a while back until he finished his classes in the city), fantastic entertainment from Terry Jaensch who performed 3 of his orphanage monologues, announcements, poetry prizes and a raffle which, as you can guess from the picture, I won. Inside that cellophane there is much booty – Alex Miller’s Lovesong, a lovely selection of poetry books, a massive encyclopedia... (WIN!!!)

So, not exactly Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but fun nonetheless.

:) :) :)

No comments: