"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Friday, December 2, 2011

Me? Why, thank you!

Good news on a Friday night is always welcome, so I was very pleased to get the following email instead of the traditional end-of-the-week rejection:

Dear Gitte,
Congratulations, your story - The Nameless Seamstress - was a semi-finalist in the 4th quarter of the L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future Contest!


I'm pretty happy with that! I entered this competition once many, many, many moons ago (Hmm, maybe I should dig out that old, typewritten* story and have a look at it. Dilmun was the title, I think) so that makes The Nameless Seamstress my second submission to WOTF.

I think it's safe to say that I'm now officially hooked. I'm already scanning my stock of stories for something to send off for the next quarter.

*Meaning written on a typewriter, clack, clack, clack, after which it was put into an envelope and posted off the US. Ah, how I love email submissions.

3 comments:

Steve Cameron said...

Well done!

I enter WoTF ever quarter and haven't scored that high. My last entry was a straight reject.

And you'll get a personalised critique from KD. But semi-finalist means it was in the top 16 or so from possibly thousands of submissions.

Steve

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, Steve.

Given that I was chastising myself for daring to daydream about getting an Honourable Mention, this result far exceeds my expectations.

And yes, I'm looking forward to getting the critique. It'll be good to get some professional feedback.

parlance said...

Congratulations! It'll be interesting to find out how much depth they go into in the critique.