"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, February 18, 2012

Almost Converted

Another shaky-cam, found-footage film that pleasantly surprised me by slowly ratcheting into a genuinely scary and touching movie about the tribulations of being a teenager, the horrors of domestic violence, and the rationalization of cruelty and the misuse of power, all whilst touching base with the mainstays of the superhero genre. On top of that, it even managed to slip in a damning indictment on the heartlessness of US health system.

I'm not usually a fan of the limited POV, gimmicky shots, bad audio and slipshod storytelling masquerading as hipster, film studenty übercoolness that is so often indulged in the found-footage genre, but after The Troll Hunter, and now Chronicle, I'm feeling more well-disposed towards this kind of film-making.

No comments: