"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, February 6, 2012

A Monotonous Monologue

Moving on after yesterday's submission palooza, I'm now working on my "Berlin Wall" dark fantasy story. Once again, it's a piece that's been sitting on the hard drive for ages not really doing much, and then wham! all of a sudden it's screaming to be finished. And best of all, I'm able to oblige. After this morning's session at the keyboard, it's pretty much done. It just needs a week of steady polishing to become my fourth new story for 2012, and once it's right, it'll be perfect for a certain magazine that does themed issues (I hope the mag's editor agrees).

I hope this trend continues (it won't, but I can dream, can't I?). I'm feeling so on top of things that I might even dig out the bear story I wrote way back when I started this blog and of which I'm quite fond. It didn't do so well out in the world (rejected 8 times), and has been licking its wounds since 15/10-10, when it was mauled by one editor, but now might be a good time to gently pull out those broken stories, take another look at them, and see if they're fixable.

Actually, after a quick check (I love my notebooks and logs), I've discovered that my memory is again playing tricks, that last editor's reaction to the bear story casting a pall over earlier comments. Sure the bear story was bagged, but before that it also garnered 'solid tale' and 'I liked this quite a bit but...' from other editors, so perhaps I can salvage it.

There, that was a boring post, eh? This is a prime example of why one should never ask a writer about their work :)

No comments: