"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Nazis Who Cheered Me Up


Yesterday, after overdosing on the Real World (explanation to follow) and treating myself to a spot of good food on Lygon Street, we went to see Iron Sky, a 2012 Finnish-German-Australian retro-science-fiction comedy with serious bits that I logged as a must-see a while back after reading about it on Robert Hood’s blog Undead Backbrain. This movie has Udo Kier in it – say no more. The premise is:


It was hilarious, with lots of catch-them-or-miss-them historical details and pay-attention-to-what-I’m-saying dialogue. Some of the euphemisms for Nazi are breathtakingly long and politically pertinent, and I found myself mouthing some of them in the cinema (the way one does with those delicious Joss Whedon bon mots) in an effort to remember them for later, because you just never know when you might run into a fascist in dire need of an ego-flattening insult.

 There’s much criticism of USA politics, but many other nations were also mocked, including production partners Finland, Germany (well, there are Nazis in it) and Australia. Mostly, it was about the absurdity of humankind. Anyway, this movie was exactly what I needed to perk me up yesterday.

As for my Real World problems, well, my minor surgery a few weeks back confirmed that I have a Serious Medical Issue which must be addressed, so I’m off to hospital again soon for major surgery followed by a lengthy recuperation. This SMI is not something I’ll be going on about a lot here – I prefer to blog about my happy writing place rather than the uncheery stuff one has to wade through away from one’s writing keyboard – but no doubt bits will creep in here and there, mostly because it’ll put a very frustrating crimp in my writing plans. But what can one do? Alas, this “hiatus” also means that I won’t get to Natcon, I won’t be able to finish up my spec-fic workshop, and there are a few deadlines that will whoosh by without me battling for a place on the TOC. I missed one yesterday because of all the appointments I’ve had recently, so my harpy story, which is really shaping up well, has missed a chance to be a contender for a certain anthology.

Ah well, it’s buckle-down-and-get-through-the-crap-time with help from family and friends, onwards to recovery, followed by a triumphant return to writing. I’ll go check my Tattslotto ticket now on the way to the Arvo Job – magical thinking, that treacherous enemy of rational thought, has me hoping that maybe I’ll get some upfront reimbursement from the Fates :) ***

*** Nope, no millions of dollars for me. Not even a single dollar...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about health problems, Gitte. Hope your major surgery and lengthy recuperation will be the end of the matter...and that you get to read lots of good books while you're in bed!

As for the harpy story, take your time, and when it's finished, this year or the next, sell it to Shimmer or ASIM or Fantasy or Aurealis. And then the publisher you were originally going to submit to might pick it up for the Year's Best (she says craftily, hoping she's guessed right again ;))

Take care,

Thoraiya

Steve Cameron said...

Gitte,

Sorry to hear about your current health. I hope all is sorted soon and you're back to your writing best.

I guess I won't see you at JD's workshop, or at con - but I will see you online, and I'll be sending all good vibes in your direction.

Best

Steve Cameron

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, Thoraiya. Believe you me, I'm getting all set up with piles of really, big brick-books, a new blu-ray player and stacks of DVDs and box sets (it's time to catch up with The Walking Dead) but there's no way around the fact that it's going to be a lot of blah!I've always been lucky with my health, so this is a whole new ballgame for me. Must remember: this too will pass.

I reckon you've guessed right about the submission ;)And yes, my harpy will rise and spread her wings eventually - she's a good girl, and I'm fond of her. Anyway, thank you for the morale boost.

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, Steve.

I am going to try to get to this week's workshop, but the last session is probably about a week too soon for me to make, and even then I'd be a bit wobbly. Missing Natcon, also by just one single week, is so bloomin' annoying - when the surgeon told me the date, I went 'Nooooooo!' I just knew this was going to happen! Illness does not respect one's social calendar.

And thank you for the good vibes. I'll take any healing help I can get.

Gitte

parlance said...

Good luck with all the 'stuff' that is happening.

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you. I'd far rather it was other sorts of 'stuff' that was happening, but what's a gal to do? It's onwards to the other side.