"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, May 27, 2012

And So It Goes

  Well, I can strike off the two potential pro sales. Normally, a week of writerly disappointment like this would throw me into an existential crisis, but there’s nothing like a health scare to fine tune one’s sense of perspective. Anyway, that leaves the two possible semi-pro acceptances, and of course, the countless, as yet unknown possible sales.

What a week it’s been. It was always going to be very busy, what with clearing up my work at the Arvo Job before taking time off and the maddening logistics of preparing for a prolonged convalescence, but so many things had to be done (some fun) and a few things went awry, so  I’m now spending my Sunday evening madly catching up on must-done-by-tomorrow  tasks and madly washing and drying clothes that should already be packed.  Among other things, my SMI kicked in on Wednesday and seriously slowed me down for two days and scuppered my plans (I know, I know, I have to stop making them), I’ve had wrangles with sensitive hospital admin staff over missing paperwork confirming my operation details  (I didn’t accuse them of not sending it, I just said I hadn’t received it in the mail – there’s a difference ), I’m trying to convince other bureaucrats that no, I won’t be up for jury duty in June or July, and the back garden was suddenly knee deep in leaves from all the trees and had to be raked in otherwise they’d rot into a sludge while I’m away (there are only so many things you can ask housesitters to do).
But I did take time out yesterday to go to the Mesopotamia exhibition at the Melbourne Museum while I’m still mobile, went to the movies, and met a friend for a quick coffee  today – all welcome circuit breakers in between prosaic tasks like madly cleaning the house and purchasing a hospital worthy dressing gown and new jammies that I can wear in public.
These jammies are part of the drying extravaganza going on  at the moment,  and Gus is having a ball playing with the ribbons dangling from a pair hanging on the clotheshorse in front of the heater. Little does she know that her comfy feline world is about to be turned upside down.
Anyway, must get back to  it all.   

No comments: