"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Dead Men Up and Walking


So late Sunday night I finished and emailed the final edit of The Snowy River Feral for what is referred to somewhat ignobly as The Dead Men antho in the contributor emails buzzing back and forth. The answers for my author interview to help promote the book went off over a week ago. The cover art has been finally finalised - looking good. I've been peeking at the other stories - they look good too. Things are falling into place and hotting up. Now I just have to sit back and try not to fidget too much as I wait for October (not so far away), for that is when the antho finally comes out in all its glory and with its full title rightfully restored. I feel like a kid gazing longingly at a bike-shaped package under the Christmas tree, itching to unwrap it and take it for a whizz around the block.

Given my glee, it was only to be expected that the Real World, which constantly, above and beyond the call of duty, I sometimes think, goes out of its way to keep me humble, tried to stuff up my good mood with a two-rejection Monday night. But hah, I can take it! There's a book full of zombie and vampire stories on the way with my name in it, so suck it up, Real World, suck it up!

3 comments:

Steve Cameron said...

Cool! Sounds like a great Antho,

Steve

parlance said...

I think the joy of being in an anthology should never fade. I reckon if I were a famous writer who'd lost the fizzing excitement of knowing I had a story coming out, I'd stop writing.

I often think how arduous it must have been for J K Rowling to write those last two books. I wonder if there was any joy left in the writing.

I'm vicariously enjoying your pleasure in the various publications you mention.

Gitte Christensen said...


Thank you, Steve, I too think it is sooooo cool, especially because I'd never thought of myself as a zombie/vampire kind of writer before this (and the werewolf acceptance), but there you go. You never know.

Believe me, parlance, there needs to be a fizzing excitement because there certainly isn't a huge monetary payoff for all of one's work at this stage. But as a life long book lover, well, I still get all smirky with happiness whenever gaze at my name upon the back cover of a collection, and then in the list of contents, and when I glance at the small stack on my trophy shelf.

I'm sure, as arduous as it was for her to get them out, JK Rowling still got a kick out of writing the last two books. To be finally winding up such a long term project, especially one that took so long to get of the ground intitially, must have been immensely satisfying despite all the hype. Also, she got a castle in Scotland out of it all. That's got to have made her happy.

By all means, partake of my joy - there's enough to go around :) However, if you're still working away on your own stories and still subbing them, I'm sure that one day soon, you too will enjoy the same lovely fizzing excitment.