"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, September 29, 2012

Just Call Me the Comic Relief



 


Thanks to another of Eric J Guignard's fantastic updating emails, I've been alerted to four more reviews for Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations, all of which praise the diversity of the stories and comment on how they appeal to our sense of adventure and wonder. Check them out. They're right about the anthology being a good read.


One review is over at Onetitle Magazine: http://onetitle.ca/dark-tales-of-lost-civilizations

Another is over at Literary Mayhem:

And then - drumroll, please - there are the two reviews that mention ME! They don't say a lot, but they DO mention me.

The first is in a Black Gate review (Black Gate! Whoo-hoo!) HERE where, amidst all the praise for other contributors, they sneak in:
 
Nor is it just the lost civilizations themselves that are varied. Rather, it is the changing mood and tone that keeps this anthology so fresh. The reader assumes there will be horror (since it is mentioned in the subtitle) and will not be disappointed by Chelsea Armstrong’s “The Nightmare Orchestra”. The reader also suspects there will be something spooky, and Joe R. Lansdale provides a deliciously creepy yarn in “The Tall Grass”.

But most readers will not expect a laugh-out-loud futuristic comedy like Gitte Christenson’s “Whale of a Time”.


Then, over at Nameless Magazine, there's this very cool line:

Geeks will get a kick out of "Whale of a Time" from Australian science fiction writer Gitte Christensen, where virtual reality is no longer virtual and user groups run amuck.

So, more things to make me smile this week. Nice.

6 comments:

Steve Cameron said...

Very nice reviews.

It is a wonderful story.

Congratulations.

parlance said...

Okay, I need to get out and buy this book. Emailed indiebooks when you first mentioned it and balked at the postage - not so much, actually, but why pay for postage instead of walking into a shop? Tried to get it at a bookshop in the City that has SF - (Rendezvous)- no luck. I'd better get my act into gear and simply send off for it! Looking forward to reading it.

As I've said before, where would writers be without us buyers, lol.

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, Steve - I'm loving this, especially since WOT took so long to find a home. It was at the 'should I trunk this outlandish piece that no-one wants?' stage when I sent it off, on a whim, to DTLC.

I look forward to reading your story in Eric's next anthology. Oh, how I wish I'd made it into 'After Death'- it's bound to be a corker, just like DTLC.


Buy it, parlance, buy it! Not just because of my story, but because of the other fantastic tales and the way Eric has chosen such a wide range of both traditional and daring pieces. I still get a tad fainty at the calibre of other names on the TOC, and there's little ol' me in amongst them.

And yes, no readers = no writers. It's the ultimate symbiotic relationship, although, even without an audience, I suspect there would still be, and in fact still are, people scribbling alone at home just to get a certain something out of their system.

Steve Cameron said...

I'm just glad you didn't give up on WOaT. It's an excellent story and deserving of every mention it receives. And it's a reminder to us all never to give up on a story.

I'm very excited about After Death. I believe my piece may be the best story I've ever written. It certainly moved my beta readers.

Parlance, Dark Tales can be bought here (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Dark-Tales-Lost-Civilizations-Eric-Guignard/9780983433590) with free airmail postage worldwide.

I've used book depository for years, and never had a problem.

Gitte Christensen said...


Ah, the good old book depository to the rescue :)

parlance said...

Steve, thanks!