"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, August 12, 2013

Back From The High Country

Yawn.

My sister, her friend W and I spent the weekend horse riding with others through the High Country . That means a lot of uphill work. If you've never stood in stirrups while the horse beneath you tackles a steep, never-ending incline and groaned because your calves are burning with pain, then, of course, you have no idea what that simple phrase means. Still, I feel surprisingly good today, but ever so tiiiiiired.

I very carefully paced myself by taking Friday off to sleep in and pack (it's cold up there in the Victorian Alps this time of year, so much warm and waterproof gear was required even though the predicted snow and rain did not eventuate, and we had quite glorious weather), travel across the state and stay at my sister's so we were ready to head off early to get to the Mansfield area in time for our 9.30 start. Today I stayed home to recharge my drained batteries, but all in all, I'm exceedingly pleased with myself for getting through the two days without any dramas or fuss. This is the ride I was supposed to have gone on over eighteen months ago, but the first of my three operations got in the way, and since then ongoing slicing and dicing and medical crap has kept me off the mountains, so it's been well over two years since I last rode amongst those peaks. There's been many a time, mostly when I've been flat on my back with tubes coming out of me and had machines that go beep by my bedside, when I've worried that I might not ever get to enjoy slogging up muddy slopes and sliding down hillsides on horseback again :) But I did it! And I'm most grateful that it happened.

Anyway, much fun was had, challenges were overcome, the silence of a starry night far from civilization was enjoyed, stunning scenery seen from horseback on the high trails was oohed and aahed over, our horses were compared and much talked about, breakneck gallops up long tracks were done with exhilaration, and details were rehashed with much enthusiasm on the drive home yesterday.

Now I'm eager for another dose of this goodness.

3 comments:

parlance said...

Riding a horse must be one of life's most magnificent experiences. You are so lucky to have this skill. I'm glad you had a good time.

Steve Cameron said...

Great to hear you're back in the saddle, so to speak.

Steve

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, Catherine. It is great (remember, it's never too late to learn...), and I'm so glad that I was the kind of child who busted a gut to get free rides whenever she could, and later used her newspaper delivery and cleaning jobs money on riding lessons. I reap the benefits of my younger self's obsession, and owe her big time for the joy riding brings me now.

Thank you, Steve. I'm very glad to be there, back in that saddle.